www.village.neudorf.sk.ca
Village of Neudorf

OUR HISTORY...

 

Neudorf - located on the SE 1/4-14-20-8-W2 in east central Saskatchewan, was a place name even before a village was established. The name Neudorf was officially recognized with the opening of a Post Office in 1895.

The pre-railroad days of Neudorf are vague with nothing to go on but hearsay. It is said that in 1904 Neudorf consisted of half a dozen log houses, three livery barns and a liquor store, however, it is known that there were also two stores and the Post Office.

Farm equipment was kept to a minimum; an axe, say, wagon, plough, harrows, a team of oxen (later horses) a binder if one could afford it. Threshing was done by some prosperous farmers who owned a thresher and a steam engine, doing as many as 10 or 12 farms, working up to Christmas on occasion. As there were no elevators at Neudorf before the arrival of the C.P.R. grain had to be bagged and hauled to Grenfell or Wolseley. Life was hard for the early settlers and they lived mostly on what they could produce themselves, having to purchase only necessities like salt, sugar, and flour, or if they could afford it, some luxury items like tobacco, coffee, a bottle of "schnapps", or a sack of rock candy as a treat for the kids.

Having been chosen as a divisional point by the C.P.R, construction boomed. The building of the rail-yards, roundhouse. turn-table, storehouse, station, coal dock, water tower, bunkhouse, residences, etc..., were to Neudorf what potash mines are to towns today. At one time, half of the homes in Neudorf were owned by railroaders.Six full train crews lived here plus the other employees-station agent, locomotive foremen, wipers, section men, coal men, yard hands, telegraph operators, timekeeper, store man, etc... implement agencies, doctor, druggist, telephone office, three lumber yards, two pool halls, two blacksmith shops, carpenters, brick layers, at least one cabinet maker, three livery barns, a butcher, shoe maker, photo studio, a tailor shop, three barbers, a school, a church and a bank.

 Though there have been many changes during the years on the landscape of Neudorf, the village remains quite active. New families have moved into town to provide new life and ideas. We enjoy the quiet rural setting that Neudorf provides.

 

 

HOME
OUR HISTORY
BUSINESSES
ORGANIZATIONS
NORTH VALLEY ELEMENTARY
NORTH VALLEY HIGH
VILLAGE OFFICE
RM #185 OFFICE
BUSINESS INCENTIVES
ANNUAL EVENT LISTING
INTERESTING INFORMATION
PHOTO ALBUMS
GUEST BOOK
CONTACT US